Everyone Deserves A Life Free From Abuse
Shelter From the Storm will remain open at this time. We are asking clients to call and schedule for in person advocacy as our doors will be locked for walk-ins through April 28th.
Advocacy is available by phone.
- Main Office: 541-963-7226
- 24-Hour Crisis Hotline: 541-963-9261
Taking Care During Crisis
- Make a list of supportive people to have regular check-ins with via phone or video chat.
- Take breaks outside, keep social distancing in mind
- Consider what places in your home are easy to get in and out of during a conflict.
- Create a code word to share with your support network that indicates your are in need of immediate help.
- Make and hide an ‘escape bag’ with your important documents, medicine, keys & other items.
- Be gentle with yourself; you’re doing the best you can.
Manage Anxiety & Stress
Union County Information
- Union County Local Call Center for COVID-19 Questions. M-F 10am-12pm 541-962-1600
- For current and up to date COVID-19 information, call 211
- Oregon Judicial Department
- Union County Court 541-962-9500
- La Grande Police Non-emergency 541-963-1017
- District Attorney’s Office 541-963-1007
- Grande Ronde Emergency Room 541-963-1442
- Center for Human Development (CHD) 541-962-8800
Finding Reliable Information
Keep in mind that limiting information-seeking may be beneficial to your mental health.
- Consult trusted sources for the best information – we recommend:
Avoid sensational news reports.
Stay Up To Date With Our Events!
WHAT WE DO
What is a Shelter From the Storm Privileged Advocate?
We are confidential professionals trained to support survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault, and stalking. We believe people and respect their experiences when they tell us their stories. We respect autonomy and the decisions that survivors make for their own lives. We seek to help empower others. We want to help you understand your options and connect you with useful resources.
Do I need to report what happened before I can receive services?
NO. You do not need to report ANYTHING to ANYONE prior to speaking with an advocate and receiving any of your services. We support and respect the decisions you make for your own life and the decision to report is yours.
Do I have to get a Restraining Order or other order of protection?
NO. You are NOT required to file any kind of protective order if you are seeking our help. We may tell you that you have the option to file a protective order. Our advocates can assist you with the forms and accompany you to court, but you are in no way required to file one if you don’t want to.
Doesn’t Shelter From the Storm only serve women?
NO. We serve ANYONE that walks through our doors that is a survivor of domestic violence, sexual assault, and stalking. We do not discriminate based on your gender identity or expression, race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, martial status, social class, age*, medical condition, or disability.
*Due to funding restrictions we are limited in our abilities to serve minors under 15.